Sunday, January 8, 2012

ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER...

After a fantastic year at home with the kids I am heading back to work tomorrow. It has been a very emotional last week of maternity leave for me. I have shed some tears and have rustled with many guilty feelings about leaving the kids in someone else's care while I'm at work. Although we have a great nanny, named Claire, who the kids seem really comfortable with - I still can't help but feel like I'm going to be missing out on so many milestones while I'm away from them during the day. 


The kids must sense that things will be changing around here tomorrow because they chose not to nap this afternoon and they decided that today would be a great day to start "walking" consistently with their Fisher Price Ride and Stride Dino's they got for Christmas. While we were hanging in the basement this afternoon watching football, Doyle decided to put the kids behind the dinos to see what they would do. As he helped the kids steady themselves he let go of the dino and away they walked!!! They were so proud of themselves and wanted to do it over and over and over and over. They haven't mastered "steering" yet but have mastered controlling their feet while the dino rolls away in front of them. It was the greatest thing to watch and I'm so glad I was here to share this milestone with them. 


There is no question this week is going to be challenging on many levels - leaving the kids, worrying about whether I remember how to do my job, finding a balance between working and life at home and getting enough "awake" time with the kids. But one thing is for sure...at the end of the day (no matter how challenging it was) I get to come home to two of the greatest kids one mom (and dad) could ask for and I feel very fortunate to have my family beside me as I embark on this next journey....






2 comments:

  1. YAY C & J! Amazing, what great timing! Love how proud they are of themselves, the best! Heath, good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. Sending big love to you. You will be fine, you might even enjoy some adult down time. xo k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jacob and Charlotte!! What a nice "back to work" present for you!

    ReplyDelete