Monday, April 15, 2013

A BIRTHDAY TO REMEMBER....

From this point forward April 15, 2013 will forever be marked as the day the Boston Marathon was rocked by two explosions at the finish line. Impacting hundreds of lives both in that city and around the world. 

It also happens to be my 37 birthday but somehow that milestone doesn't seem all that important today. One thing is for sure and that is how fortunate I feel today. I have received numerous messages, phone calls and visits throughout the day, but most of all I have been given the best gift anyone could ask for...my husband Doyle. He was in Boston today running his 10 consecutive Boston Marathon and luckily finished his race in 3:13, just over an hour before the bombs went off. I spoke to him from his hotel room 15 minutes before I heard about the bombings so when I did hear about them I knew he was safe. I am grateful for this and can't wait to have my better half home tonight. His flight was delayed by 4 hours so he won't arrive until 11pm, but thankfully he will be here with us. 

For the past 9 years I have watched the marathon right near where the bombs went off and could have just as easily been there today had we decided to take the kids down for the weekend. Watching the  coverage on TV today I can't help but stop and think about all the "what if's" had we been there. I feel terrible for all those who were injured or lost someone close to them. My thoughts are with everyone in Boston tonight. 

Thanks to my mom my birthday didn't go unnoticed. She brought over a cake and a card for Charlotte, Jacob and Oliver to sign. They sang Happy Birthday and we ate pizza! I opened my cards from her, the kids and my dad and Sandy (who are enjoying a much deserved vacation in Rome). The messages from everyone were touching and made me realize just how lucky I am. 

So as today nears its end...I will look back on the past year with many happy memories and look forward to all the new ones that wait for this year! I also look forward to my birthday dinner with Doyle tomorrow! 

The kids and I celebrating my birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment