Thursday, May 9, 2013

HAPPY SEVEN MONTH "BIRTHDAY"....OLIVER


I love watching the progress a baby makes in its first year of life. Going from a tiny vulnerable little person to a fun-filled animated toddler is amazing. As exciting as this development is I also wish there was a pause button, a way to freeze time, especially when my third and last child is seven months. I'm not sure how the heck time flew so quickly but it has and despite my wish for a way to freeze time I can't...I just have to hop along for the ride and enjoy every moment...and that is exactly what I've done these past seven months. I have loved every minute of watching Oliver's personality blossom. He is turning into a fun loving, happy and laid back little man who has brightened our lives from the moment he arrived back in October!

This past month has brought many exciting milestones in Oliver's development including:

  • Growing and gaining weight: We won't have his official stats until June since we don't actually have a "well" visit with Dr. Greenberg this month but my guess is something slightly above 20 lbs
  • Rolling all the way over (front to back...back to front): Oliver finally started rolling from his back to his front. The best part of this milestone was that he rolled from his back to his front for the first time in front of "GG" on May 2 when we were visiting her. He continued to do it three more times while we were there and hasn't stopped since! It was a special moment indeed.
  • Sitting for brief periods of time by himself: I decided to see what would happen to Oliver if I put him in a sitting position so I did and for a few moments he sat up and supported himself on his own. He still has a ways to go but it was fun to see him sitting there for a few minutes! 
  • Enjoying more solid food: Oliver is not a big fan of baby food from a jar so I have been mixing the food we've been eating together in our magic bullet and giving it to him. This month he has tried quinoa, grilled veggies, feta cheese, pork, green beans, carrots and potatoe salad - in addition to all the other food we've introduced over the past few months. So far there isn't a food he won't eat! 
  • Getting a clean bill of health from Sick Kids: Oliver received a clean bill of health from the Club Foot clinic at Sick Kids and no longer requires follow up visits for his feet. 
  • Making new sounds: In addition to saying "ba ba ba"...Oliver has added "da da da" to his vocabulary. I'm still waiting for "ma ma ma"...but I know that will come eventually! 
  • Blowing "bubbles": Oliver loves blowing "bubbles" with his mouth he's constantly pushing his lips together to make "bubble" sounds
  • Drinking from a straw sippy cup: I won't be throwing the bottles out just yet but I am now starting the wean towards eliminating them. After a number of weeks of just playing with his sippy cup...Oliver actually starting sucking on the straw and swallowing the milk or water that came out of it. He still has a ways to go before he finishes a full cup but at least he now knows what to do with it when I hand it to him! 
  • Continuing to sleep through the night: Oliver continues to be a sleeping champ. The only thing we need to work on is stretching his bedtime from 6:15 / 6:30 p.m. to closer to 7 p.m. especially when I return to work. 
  • Wearing 9 and 12 month clothes: Oliver's wardrobe now consists of 9 and 12 month items. I had to go and buy new summer clothes for him because he was too big for the ones that Jacob had worn! 
  • Continuing to clap, laugh, smile and expand his voice: Not a day goes by when we don't hear clapping sounds, laughs or screams coming from Oliver's direction! He continues to brighten our days with his amazing smile too! 
  • Celebrating Mommy's birthday: Oliver, Charlotte, Jacob and my mom helped me celebrate my birthday while Doyle was in transit from Boston following the marathon on April 15
  • Spending more time outside on the porch / in the backyard: Now that the nice weather has finally arrived we are spending more time hanging outside. Oliver loves being part of the action in is exersaucer or on a blanket! 
  • Activities outside the house: Stroller Fit, walks in the neighbourhood and music at CECC
Practising sitting up for longer periods on his own

Oliver loves to smile and laugh! 
He also likes to wiggle...especially after many pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment